One of the most common effects of winter is dry skin. A true dry skin type lacks lipids or oils whereas dehydrated skin is a condition where your skin is lacking in water. Dehydration can affect all skin types and can also be dependant on the environment. Dry skin tends to suffer more in the colder months due to indoor heating, hot showers and sudden temperature changes. Normal and combination skins can become dry in winter when coupled with environmental changes.
Sensitive Dry Facial Skin
Your skins barrier is made up of water and oil. If your skin is starting to feel irritated and sensitive it’s often an indication that the lipid barrier is compromised. You can help rebuild your barrier from the inside out by increasing your intake of good fats both from your diet and through Omega 3 supplements. Externally, adding a moisturiser with essential fatty acids is a great way to restore the skins barrier.
Tips for dealing with dry skin in Winter.
- Use a creamy cleanser instead of a foam as it will clean the skin without stripping it of its natural oils.
- Don’t ever exfoliate – once a week is plenty
- Try switching to a richer moisturiser in Winter.
- Incorporating face oil to your routine is a great way to give your skin extra nourishment. If your skin is combination or breaks out easily, adding a water based hydrating serum is a great alternative.
- Hot showers feel amazing when the temperature drops but they actually can lead to dehydration by evaporating moisture from the skin. The hot hard water can also cause broken veins on the face so try not to tilt your face up towards the shower head.
- Increasing good fats and omega 3 in your diet can help your skin cells retain moisture, and help to increase the lipids in your skin barrier.
- If you are still struggling, adding a humidifier in your bedroom at night can help maintain moisture in the air.
Adelaide’s Best Facials
Indica Medispa aims to help you achieve the best skin possible whilst providing real visible results. Your therapist will recommend a treatment designed to best suit your skin’s needs, using only the best cosmeceutical products. The brands we use in our facial treatments are all proudly cruelty free.
It can be hard to know your skin type or what to do for your skin, so our therapists are there to help you. Feel free to book an appointment with us and we will assess your skin and customise a treatment for you.
Let Indica Medispa highly trained therapists take your skin to the next level with our range of treatments. Whether you want to treat fine lines & wrinkles, loss of firmness, pigmentation, scarring, acne, redness, broken capillaries and more, we can help you.
We proudly use medical grade treatments in combination with results driven skincare. Why not give Indica Medispa a call and book your free consultation today on 08 8352 5454.